This version of Chow Mein was a childhood favourite of mine. My Nanna would make it and we all loved it. My mum learnt to make it and now i have my own twist. I have never had the Chinese Chow Mein so i have no idea what it tastes like but i am guessing it is probably not like this version.
250gms Beef Mince
3 Cups Shredded Lettuce
1 Carrot Diced
1 Potato Diced
1/2 Leek Thinly Sliced
1 Stick Celery Sliced
1 Cup Frozen Peas, Beans & Corn
Packet of Dried Chicken Noodle Soup
1 tsp Curry Powder Heaped
440g Can Pineapple Pieces
1 Cup Cooked Rice
- Brown mince in a large pan.
- Add all veggies, curry and chicken noodle soup and mix well.
- Add water, cover and simmer until cabbage has reduced. Make sure there is always a small amount of water in the bottom to stop it from sticking.
- Add pineapple juice and all.
- Mix well and cook until all veggies are soft and liquid has reduced.
- Add rice, mix well and heat through.
If i am feeling lazy i will use frozen mixed veggies but fresh taste much better. You could also use the fresh diced soup mix veggies that you find pre-packed in the fruit and veggie section of your supermarket. Pork or chicken mince can also be used instead of the beef mince.